Thursday, July 30, 2009

Enjoy the BUZZ--While It Lasts!




Obsession can lead to madness, if I don't have another sip of Quevedo 2007 Vintage Port soon, I may go insane!

This bottle was a barrel sample, brought into the United States by this man, Oscar Quevedo.It was the only one of it's kind in the country and he shared it with myself and a few other Seattle Sommeliers--I can't stop thinking about it.

The 2007 year in Portugal has now been declared a 'Vintage' year and the wines are just now starting to show up in the market. In the case of this particular wine I'm surprised the Portuguese wine cartel didn't have the place guarded like a Colombian drug deal. I seriously felt like this product had addictive qualities, as I had struggled to control my compulsive consumption. Here is what I tasted:

Intoxicating plum reeked from the glass. Gob's of black currant smothered my nasal cavities as I sopped up a smattering of it's unctuousness. A smile. Ear to ear. My sense of smell and sight and taste never more acute. All other senses now dull and dormant as I tilted back for my first sip. Before it hit my lips I knew, like the all knowing, it was decidedly so. Silence. Blueberry flavors that seemed impossible, plump thick plum juice then, the kind that makes you check the mirror for oozing facial drippage--like the drewl after dental Novocaine. If only my face fit into the little port glass, I would have stuck it in.

This black fruit was like that of which for pancakes or the surface area of toast. Prune was a part of this whole equation, and the formula a genetic masterpiece. Like colors I don't know the names of and how describing them does no justice--I can't explain some of this wine's flavor. Things I can question, but can only choose to ultimately accept.

After tasting this Port, I DID have to check my pants, and I AM starting to go a little mad. Why, you ask, don't I just buy a bottle?

Quevedo does't have an importer yet, which means I never will until they do! My advise to YOU, is to simply enjoy the BUZZ--while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment